Tuesday, June 22, 2010

When People commit suicide how do they get past the natural born instinct to survive...?

and the fear of what lies beyond this world.When People commit suicide how do they get past the natural born instinct to survive...?
The natural instinct might be there when the method is hanging, however with a gunshot, once the trigger is pulled and the aim was true, it is over with. Sadly once a course of action is taken, people could not stop it even when they want to. The fear of what lies beyond is overridden by the despair of today.





No situation is so bad that someone should ever consider suicide. Situations change and to take this type of permanent action is selfish. I've known two people who committed suicide - both were in temporary situations that would have changed. One left a wife and 8 yr old son, the other was 16 and left a mother and father. There is no ';glory'; in being known as a person who committed suicide, just tradegy.When People commit suicide how do they get past the natural born instinct to survive...?
I'm sure it's difficult. Many don't fear what's beyond this world (72 virgins, yay!). Some are psychologically or physically ill. Some think that their death will leave more of a legacy than their life....and that's what life is all about...leaving a legacy.
Unfortunately I have been there and thank God I got past it. I tried to kill myself by taking a ton of pills. I took them outside my place of work. After I took the pills i was in a state of mind that I do not remember bit I went inside the building to tell my best friend what I did. Thank goodness I did because soon after I got there I went into cardiac arrest and the paramedics brought me back. I was in a coma for 4 days. I got to the point that that instinct wasn't there anymore. The pain and hurt were so great knowing that the other side can't be any worse than this. I remember not thinking about family and friends because I knew that me being this way was more of a problem. I learned otherwise through some counseling and learning how to deal with my depression. I know am married and have an 8 month old son. I love life but still have the down days. It is a challenge but it is worth it. Help is the only way that got me out of the trash thinking that I was doing to myself.
I don't think they have to. There's another natural instinct involved. When a person is inactive for long periods of time, their body sends physiological messages to the brain, and depression results. If you can't move around, get depressed so you won't. This is a strong enough instinct to rival the will to survive.
Often they don't and their suicide attempt fails. I know one woman who is worse off now -- she cut her wrists and her throat and lay bleeding until someone found her eight hours later! Now she has to have multiple surgeries and can't work anymore, so she's in worse shape now. Sometimes other people just end up in nursing homes, drooling, because their will to live was stronger than their suicide attempt.
Very simple, they give up the will power in all sense of the word.
I think they're mind snaps. My grandpa committed suicide and before hand he was so proud of being 91 and would ask people to guess how old he was. He was in great health, walked and rode a bicycle every day and had no medical problems except being a little hard of hearing. One day, he just killed himself.
that probably kicks in when its too late!!!!
I think drugs and depression mostly. Watched some jump off the Golden gate and I wonder if they change their mind after stepping off when theres no turning back. Gave one a 10 for form though (sic humor)
People can get so worn down, that the only way to escape their pain is by ending it all.
i believe the natural born instinct you speak of is easily overcome. there are many natural born instincts which many people overcome like overeating, doing drugs, learning, etc.





I don't think they fear what lies beyond this world, as you said it. I think they are in such pain in this world that it would seem that anything but living would solve all their problems.
The survival instinct is trumped by depression. They just want to end the pain and surviving means confronting the pain.





Side note: The survival instinct is stronger in women. Even though women are devalued in society, women have more attempts but less success at committing suicide. This may have something to do with the procreative and or maternal instinct some women have. Many women also see suicide as a selfish act and being selfish is a very ';unfemimine'; trait. Women worry about families/friends and how this act will effect them. Many women make less lethal attempts at suicide, pills inaccurate and shallow cuts of the wrists etc. Men tend to use guns and ropes. In addition men are more focused on themselves and their pain and tend to be selfish and not worry about how their suicide may affect their families/friends etc.
Feeling that death would be better than the ';painful'; lives they live
I agree with Earth_Win,nothing else matters. If you've gone that far into depression, then you've prepared yourself.
we can all learn to ignore/control our instincts.


although instincts are powerful humans and other mammals are driven by emotion more than instinct.


once one's emotions become powerful enough and bad enough ending their lives seems like the best option.. this is also why their fears can be ignored.





when it comes to suicide its not just depression it's a lack of hope, ambition, will, and caring about living.





(off topic, but going along wit hthe emotion over instinct dolphins will starve themselves to death is their partner dies first, despite their instinc to survive. I've personally never heard of a primate suicide, during depression chimps and gorillas have similair symptoms like people.)
When you're feeling suicidal its the depression that is thinking for you.Depression is a chemical in balance in your brain,you want relieve from all the emotional pain you're experiencing.That's the reason many are successful when they attempt suicide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
fast cash